When I visited my family over the summer, my sister repeatedly told me that kale is AMAZING. She’s a very finicky eater who is particularly picky when it comes to eating her vegetables, so I became a bit curious about this green. I have always been an arugula and spinach fan, but my sister swore by this kale stuff.
While at Trader Joe’s the other day, I suddenly had this craving for kale, mushrooms and chicken. I have never cooked with kale, so I wasn’t too familiar with kale related recipes. My taste buds led me to buying my first bag of kale and when I got home, I searched online for what seemed to be the most satiating dinner recipe. I came across this recipe that left me salivating!
Here is the adapted recipe:
2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken tenders
8 oz. kale
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup quinoa
1. Cook 1 cup quinoa according to directions. (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Tri-Color Quinoa for this recipe).
2. Add 1 TBS olive oil to a large saute pan and heat over medium flame. Season chicken with a pinch of salt & pepper and add to pan. Saute over high heat until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Set aside.
3. Add 1TBS olive oil to the same pan. Add the kale with a pinch of salt & pepper and cook until wilted. Set aside.
4. Add 1/2 TBS olive oil and the garlic to the same pan and saute until fragrant. Stir in the chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Add the mushrooms. Let simmer for about 2 minutes before adding the tomatoes. Season the sauce to taste and simmer 3-4 minutes. Add chicken back to the sauce and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes so the chicken can marinate slightly.
5. Serve the chicken, kale, and sauce over the quinoa.